Things to consider when comparing dental insurance plansWhen you are comparing dental insurance plans, all the options may seem overwhelming. So what are the important things to look for when you compare dental insurance plans?
1) What are your dental needs?
If you are doing a dental insurance plan comparison, from any provider, you should consider your dental needs. For instance, do you have urgent dental work that needs to be addressed? Have you had a history of cavities, gum disease, or recurring dental issues? These are important to consider when you do a dental insurance plan comparison because the more work that you need done, the faster your annual maximum will get eaten up and, subsequently, the more you’ll end up paying out of pocket.
Are you shopping for dental plans during Open Enrollment? Check out our Open Enrollment Spirit Dental page for more info!
2. Family membersDo you have a spouse and/or children who also need coverage? If so, choosing a family plan will be essential. When you're looking at dental insurance plans, compare how the deductibles, co-pays, calendar year annual maximums, and other restrictions are applied. For example, are deductibles assigned per person covered or is there one for the entire family? You’ll also want to know if your child’s sealants, braces or fluoride treatments are covered.
3. Monthly premiumsBefore settling on an insurance plan, determine your monthly budget and what you’re able to spend on your monthly premiums. Select from the plan options accordingly.
4. Waiting period and exclusions
Many insurance companies will impose a long waiting period after initial enrollment, usually 6-12 months, before covering major dental procedures. If you require immediate assistance and you’ve only just enrolled in their program, you may have to pay for the procedure out of pocket while still paying their premiums. With Spirit Dental, our no waiting period dental insurance means you're covered as soon as your account goes active.
Spirit Network plans vs Spirit Choice plans:
Network plans or PPO (Preferred Provider Organizations) plans supply you with a list of dentists within their network to choose from. By choosing a PPO network plan, and visiting an in-network dentist, your monthly premiums are usually lower as are any out-of-pocket expenses.
Spirit Choice plans are also PPO, but you’ll get more savings when you visit an out-of-network dentist. You can choose the dentist you’d like to visit or choose a dentist who participates in the network. If your choice of dentist is a high priority, and they are not in-network, you have the flexibility to know that the payments are paid at a high “usual and customary” rate.
Deductible: Most insurance companies require insured individuals to meet an annual deductible before covering any dental work. When you compare insurance plans, it’s wise to research the details of each plan’s required deductible.
The Spirit Dental advantage
At Spirit Dental, we offer affordable dental insurance with all the coverage you need and features like:
- $5,000 Annual Maximum: Should you find yourself in need of major dental work, Spirit Dental has you covered. Most common annual maximums are $1,000 - $1,500 per year which could leave you paying out-of-pocket for major procedures. Spirit offers plans with an annual maximum of up to $5,000, which helps ensure more of your dental needs are covered. Please note that the $5,000 plans are not available in all states.
- $100 Lifetime Deductible: Some insurance companies require you meet an annual deductible before they begin to pay for your dental expenses. At Spirit Dental you pay a one-time lifetime deductible of $100 per insured.
- Guaranteed Acceptance: With Spirit Dental, you simply select the plan that’s right for you. No proof of health required. No being turned down because of pre-existing conditions.
- Three Cleanings per Year: The industry standard is two cleanings per year. Driven by the belief that excellent physical health is closely linked to healthy teeth and gums, all Spirit Dental plans cover three cleanings per year.